Subject: Re: bug#41890: 28.0.50; [PATCH]: Add bindings for project.el

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:25:22 -0400

> I certainly would.  It is very unusual for an optional package to have
> its bindings in files that are preloaded into every Emacs session.

[ I'm not sure if your objection is on where the bindings are located in
  the source code (which could be adjusted by moving them to project.el
  with an appropriate autoload cookie), or whether the bindings are
  placed in the global map.  I'll assume below that the problem is with
  the actual bindings rather than their source location.  ]

It's the case for rect.el bindings, for gud-key-prefix bindings,
bookmark bindings, a few others, tho.
[ I'd put register.el bindings in that same boat because I consider this
  package just as optional (I never use it), tho it's admittedly
  preloaded ]

The question is whether project.el is special enough to warrant changing
the default global map.

If not, then the only other sane way is to link them to a minor mode
and only activate the bindings when that minor mode is enabled.

My own take on what Emacs is mostly used for makes me feel that the
notion of project is probably important enough to justify its place in
the default keymap.  But I must admit I haven't looked at the actual
bindings that are discussed, so feel free to ignore me.

        Stefan