Subject: Re: [bug#41882] [PATCH] channels: Allow specifying per-channel --allow-downgrades in the channel file

From: Jakub Kądziołka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:25:28 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 09:52:38AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> How would it affect your workflow if you used merges instead of
> rebasing?

The fundamental difference would be that each merge increases the
complexity of the branch, and as such, has a cost. Sometimes, I get
some merge conflicts; in such a case I want to prepare a new patch that
applies cleanly onto master, such that I can push it easily when the
time is right.

Also, the workflow of rebasing a patchstack allows me to clearly see
which patches are yet to be upstreamed. A history with merges - not so
much.

> With authentication now in place, you probably have to do
> this anyway, or to also disable it.

I have configured git to sign all my commits, so it re-signs all the
patches I apply each time I rebase. I admit, this only works because I
have access to the repository itself, and as such, my key is authorized.

Regards,
Jakub Kądziołka