Subject: Re: [bug#41882] [PATCH] channels: Allow specifying per-channel --allow-downgrades in the channel file

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:52:38 +0200

Hi,

Jakub Kądziołka <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:27:44AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It may be that setting GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS=--allow-downgrades actually
>> works, though it’s a bit of a hack.
>
> I have found the time to test this. Unfortunately, while it does make
> `guix pull' work, it breaks other commands, such as `guix build'.

Yeah.

> I'm not sure what a good solution would be, then. I could make a bash
> alias, but that forfeits the per-channel granularity. Of course, this
> could be solved by augmenting --allow-downgrades to optionally take as a
> parameter a list of channel names, but it's not something people would
> use interactively and feels like a workaround for the fact there's no
> relevant configuration file this could be in.

We could have ‘--allow-downgrades’ accept a list of channels, as a first
step, although I find it questionable to add complexity for this use
case.

How would it affect your workflow if you used merges instead of
rebasing?  With authentication now in place, you probably have to do
this anyway, or to also disable it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.