Subject: bug#41879: 28.0.50; [Patch]: Add project-switch-to-buffer in project.el

From: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:30:55 +0300

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But to keep consistency with switch-to-buffer,
>> project-switch-to-buffer
>> should behave the same.
>
> There are other differences, too. The arglist, for example.

Well, NORECORD and FORCE-SAME-WINDOW can be passed to switch-to-buffer
easily if there is the need to.

>> buffers when existing buffer is required.  Because switch-to-buffer is
>> able to create buffers, I can't see the reason why
>> project-switch-to-buffer should require the match.
>
> To better protect from typos? It's not a very strong argument, of
> course. But "just for consistency" isn't one either.

How about "To be able to create buffers"? ;)  This way there are no need
to use switch-to-buffer for those who will use project-switch-to-buffer
solely.
Imagine project-switch-to-buffer is in your muscle memory. You need to
perform additional steps to create the buffer (C-g C-x b
type-buffer-name-again) just because the project-switch-to-buffer can't
create buffers with no reason.