Subject: Re: bug#41878: Handshake Error

From: Quinten Gruenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 07:57:26 -0700

Yes and yes. I didn't state explicitly that it was a problem with my
network only because I didn't want to appear overconfident in my amateur
diagnosis and I definitely prefer the second error message to the one that
dumps a trace and prompts the filing of a bug. This:

substitute: guix substitute: error: TLS error in procedure 'handshake':
Error in the pull function.
killing process 8828
Backtrace:
          11 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/pl48b057h6yg8w6f7hafiilcc44d0fn6-compute-guix-derivation")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    155:9 10 (_ _)
    159:9  9 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-user)
7fc5ff085f?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ./guix/store.scm:
  2025:24  8 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640> _
#:guile-for-build _ #:system _ #:target _)
   1859:8  7 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   243:18  6 (_ _)
   1061:2  5 (_ _)
    921:2  4 (_ _)
    782:4  3 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  1907:12  2 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640>)
   1356:5  1 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640>
_ _)
  1367:15  0 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640> _ _)

./guix/store.scm:1367:15: ERROR:
  1. &store-protocol-error:
      message: "`/gnu/store/5r3sb6bj6pppn4h35a35956mv5qrd011-guix-command
substitute' died unexpectedly"
      status: 1
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/pl48b057h6yg8w6f7hafiilcc44d0fn6-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"cf48f0fc4c40a2ec0b38a445e1e13f37722a0ade"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "ecf92194a55188a9c217d76617378749db063453"; pull-version: 1).
Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.

is much different than this:

guix substitute: error: TLS error in procedure 'handshake': Error in the
pull function.
substitution of
/gnu/store/k1da7bv579d8gvwdrakd9l4hxswknff2-guix-module-union failed
guix pull: error: some substitutes for the outputs of derivation
`/gnu/store/k2gdq7ahjaqmdgjr9xwywqpxvzazn467-guix-e07573432.drv' failed
(usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to build
derivation from source

especially to one as new to scheme as myself. I can't say why the two
errors were different as I'm not familiar mechanically with what phases
pull goes through but I can say the first error occurred during the
beginning of the pull and the second occurred in the wrap up thing it does
towards the end.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 1:07 AM Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quinten Gruenthal <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> > Sure; though, as I mentioned before I did try again and it did work.
> Doing
> > a pull once more I failed with:
> >
> > guix substitute: error: TLS error in procedure 'handshake': Error in the
> > pull function.
> > substitution of
> > /gnu/store/k1da7bv579d8gvwdrakd9l4hxswknff2-guix-module-union failed
> > guix pull: error: some substitutes for the outputs of derivation
> > `/gnu/store/k2gdq7ahjaqmdgjr9xwywqpxvzazn467-guix-e07573432.drv' failed
> > (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to build
> > derivation from source
>
> Could it be that you’re on a flaky network connection?
>
> > As with before, I was also able to succeed on a subsequent pull; but this
> > error seemed to be handled better as it suggested both the cause of the
> > problem and a possible solution.
>
> If the connection is dropped, there’s little we can do, but maybe you’re
> suggesting better error reporting?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>
> PS: Please keep the bug Cc’d.
>