Subject: [PATCH 0/2] hurd-boot: Cleanups: Remove MAKEDEV, then use setxattr (on the Hurd).

From: "Jan (janneke) Nieuwenhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 18:54:30 +0200

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>

Hi!

Several variants of these patches were present on wip-hurd-vm before.

Currently, we are running MAKEDEV from activation, and thus need hurd, bash,
coreutils and sed in PATH.

The first patch replaces that with scheme code, which seems a no-brainer to
me.  Then we only need hurd in PATH for settrans and gettrans.

The second patch then switches to using setxattr instead of settrans; alas we
still need gettrans as getxattr behaves "funny" on translated nodes.  I
suppose that would be a question for the bug-hurd?

Greetings,
Janneke

Jan (janneke) Nieuwenhuizen (2):
  hurd-boot: Create individual translators instead of running MAKEDEV.
  hurd-boot: Use 'setxattr' instead of invoking settrans.

 gnu/build/hurd-boot.scm | 172 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 gnu/system.scm          |   1 +
 2 files changed, 126 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com