Subject: bug#41843: timestamp bug when files are created just before make is run

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 19:24:51 -0600

Regarding https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13107
(from December 2012, sorry) ...

    [From Mikulas]
    > > config.h.in : am__configure_deps
    > >         echo build config.h.in
    > >         rm -f stamp-h1
    > >         touch config.h.in
    [...]

    > Hmm, adding a "sleep 1" after that rm -f and before the touch
    > config.h.in would work without reintroducing the issue described in
    > that explanation, no?
    > Philip Guenther

    [Mikulas again]
    Yes it fixes it, you can add "sleep 1" to automake there, that fixes
    the bug.

Does this bug still come up?
Is it worth considering adding the sleep 1 to automake after the rm -f?
All those sleeps might add up, though.

An alternative would be a variable for a command (that does nothing by
default) that could be overridden in a project that needs to worry about
this problem. That would be safe in that it would have no visible
impact, but I'm not inclined to do so unless it would actually be used.

Anyone out there who wants it? --thanks, karl.