Subject: 28.0.50; Dired-x: Y makes symlink with error: File is a symlink to a nonexistent target

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 13:14:21 +0300

I have noticed that for some reason, within dired-x library and usage of
"Y" to make a relative symlink, that process fails, it makes the symlink
yet something is wrong, it says it is non-existent target.

Please look into the first step on this picture:
https://gnu.support/images/2020/06/2020-06-13/2020-06-20-13:03:12.jpg

The directory in the bottom window 2020-06-13 should become relative
symlink for other directory. 

The next step is shown on this picture below. I have turned on the
variable dired-dwim-target, so the upper directory appears there:
https://gnu.support/images/2020/06/2020-06-13/2020-06-20-13:04:35.jpg

The final result is shown on this picture:
https://gnu.support/images/2020/06/2020-06-13/2020-06-20-13:04:54.jpg

Yet, if I now try to enter the directory in the upper window 2020-06-13
I get error message that file is a symlink to a nonexistent target.

However, if I do in the shell from the same directory following:

cd ../../../../../../public_html/louis.club/media/2020/06/2020-06-13

from the same directory, then it works, then I can switch to that
directory, so the target does exists.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 10, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-06-08 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 80abaea1d9c6f1e53fe88befe16de3b219cdd919
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Recent messages:
ESC M-y is undefined
RelSymLink: 1 of 1
RelSymLink: 1 file done
C-M-g is undefined
You can run the command ‘other-window’ with C-x o
dired-get-file-for-visit: File is a symlink to a nonexistent target [2 times]
Making completion list...
<s-right> is undefined
<s-next> is undefined
<s-right> is undefined

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-06-08 --with-modules
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib
dired-x easymenu thingatpt find-func dired dired-loaddefs tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54157 7923)
 (symbols 48 6813 1)
 (strings 32 18992 2150)
 (string-bytes 1 594945)
 (vectors 16 10928)
 (vector-slots 8 137766 9184)
 (floats 8 28 172)
 (intervals 56 489 0)
 (buffers 992 20))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis