Subject: Re: bug#41834: 28.0.50; Dired-x: Y makes symlink with error: File is a symlink to a nonexistent target

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:59:43 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> [2020-06-13 16:16]:
> Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I have only pressed Y and the symlink is created in such way that it
> > does not work.
> 
> So you say you just confirm the suggested link name and you get an
> invalid link?

Yes, I pressed Y and I get invalid link

> I noticed that the path to your target dir contains a duplicate
> directory file name "/Pictures/Pictures/".  These directories do really
> exist like this in your file system, yes?

Of course, I gave you real time situation with screenshots and real
directories.

Thank you for noticing, maybe that is exactly the problem, so the
directory:

/home/data1/protected/Media/Pictures/Pictures

is actually symlink to:

/home/data1/protected/Work/2nd-Dynamic/Division_3/Dept_9/Pictures

Maybe it is related to calculation of the relative symlink.

> I try to find out if there is something special in your use case.
> Personally I use Y very frequently and have never seen a problem like
> this.

I use it frequently too and this is first time that I have encountered
this.