Subject: Re: bug#41821: 28.0.50; read-directory-name in vc commands should provide defaults from projects

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 19:45:45 +0300

On 25.06.2020 19:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> And having vc-hooks call project.el functions at runtime would somehow
>> force us to preload it? How?
> 
> It's enough that someone makes the function a macro, or does something
> else similarly innocent.

Nobody will make it a macro, or a defsubst. And I wouldn't say making it 
a macro would be "innocent".

>>> Anyway, if you-two feel strongly about keeping the current solution,
>>> i.e. having VC commands use project.el-collected history, I'd
>>> appreciate if that function could be moved to vc.el from vc-hooks.el,
>>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> We can't just move it: it accesses information private to project.el.
>> The best we could do is a wrapper function.
> 
> Sorry, I don't understand: why can't we move it from vc-hooks.el to
> vc.el, and why doing that would need a wrapper?

It would be a wrapper for a project.el function. But if it works for 
you, okay.