Subject: bug#41814: defmethod cl-print-object is not entirely reliable

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:23:33 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, this doesn't use cl-print at all.  And I think that makes sense:
> when inserting a value into a buffer, readability is important (that
> doesn't make a difference in your case, though).
>
> We have different printers now in Elisp, and implementing
> cl-print-object only has an effect when cl-print is used.

Yup -- I don't think there's a bug here.  The standard Emacs
eval/printing commands aren't affected by the cl print definitions, but
instead uses a slew of different things to DWIM the printing, and we
can't change that.

> I dunno if that fact could be better documented to avoid this kind of
> confusion.

I don't think anything in our documentation (as far as I know) should
lead anybody to think that doing something in cl-print should affect
`C-u C-x C-e', so I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no