Subject: Re: bug#41812: 28.0.50; pr-ps-... does not print certain accented characters, bust shows question marks instead

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:30:24 +0300

> From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 21:09:55 +0200
> 
> when printing via ps-print-... I realized, that some
> accented characters, namely
> 
> - capital letter L slash
> - small letter n acute
> - small letter o acute
> - small letter z acute
> 
> are exchanged for question marks.

With the exception of o acute, the other characters aren't Latin-1, so
I think what you see is expected.  To see more characters, you need to
customize ps-mule.el; at least ps-mule-font-info-database-default
should be customized.  Maybe you should also install GNU Intlfonts.  I
suggest to read the commentary at the beginning of ps-mule.el for more
details.

To make the report more easily reproducible and investigated, it is
better to leave printing.el commands that invoke Ghostview out of the
picture, since invoking external commands could produce other
irrelevant issues.  If you instead produce a PostScript buffer out of
your text and look at the produced PostScript, do you see the question
marks there, and if so, for which characters?

Thanks.