Subject: bug#41805: closed (Re: bug#41805: 26.3; icomplete in buffer throws an error if there's an elisp special character after point)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 00:51:03 +0000

Your bug report

#41805: 26.3; icomplete in buffer throws an error if there's an elisp special character after point

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41805: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41805
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41805: 26.3; icomplete in buffer throws an error if there's an elisp special character after point
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 17:50:44 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

James Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry, ignore this bug if you want because I just realized that
> icomplete-in-buffer is a 'defvar' and not a 'defcustom'.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 26.3; icomplete in buffer throws an error if there's an elisp special character after point
From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 19:37:15 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs -Q
2. M-: (setq icomplete-in-buffer t)
3. M-x icomplete-mode
4. Type a single quote (')
5. C-b
6. C-M-i

Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (args-out-of-range #(";; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp evaluation.
;; To create a file, visit it with C-x C-f and enter text in its buffer.

" 0 3 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-delimiter-face) 3 71 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-face) 71 74 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-delimiter-face) 74 144 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-face) 144 145 (fontified t)) 0 146)

Happens also in Emacs 28 development version; and with other special
characters: " \ ) ( etc in step 4.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-03-26, modified by Debian built on lcy01-amd64-020
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description:	Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
t
Icomplete mode enabled
Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook): (args-out-of-range #(";; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp evaluation.
;; To create a file, visit it with C-x C-f and enter text in its buffer.

" 0 3 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-delimiter-face) 3 71 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-face) 71 74 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-delimiter-face) 74 144 (fontified t face font-lock-comment-face) 144 145 (fontified t)) 0 146)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mEZBk7/emacs-26.3+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load
icomplete elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 102444 5789)
 (symbols 48 21318 1)
 (miscs 40 49 104)
 (strings 32 29961 1070)
 (string-bytes 1 769922)
 (vectors 16 13939)
 (vector-slots 8 501270 9470)
 (floats 8 51 76)
 (intervals 56 339 277)
 (buffers 992 11))