Subject: Re: bug#41792: Acknowledgement (dd function – message: "No boot sector on USB device"")

From: Ricky Tigg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 14:33:20 +0300

The difference of device path is due to the fact that the USB media was
plugged out after the write-operation was achieved on the Linux computer
then plugged into a computer –Asus– whose Windows OS has to be restored,
then plugged back to the same computer but to a *different* USB port. It's
safe to open the present issue-ticket.

*Source media*:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

*Rufus v4.1.4* – I couldn't use it since The Windows OS installed is
missing some system's files. Will convert it to fit on Fedora at release of
version 33 which will update the uniformly mingw component and thus
mingw64-headers which is old and is the cause of a known issue.

I wrote the disc image as well using those tools then booted the USB device
having the disc image written on.:

*Fedora Media Writer v4.1.4* – Officially does not support Microsoft
Windows disc images. I did not know that before writing.

*Unetbootin v677* – It writes partially the disc image thus the installer
is operational partially. Issue was already reported by someone on Git.

*Woeusb v3.3.1* – Installer is operational on BIOS but not on EFI systems.
Issue was already reported by someone on Git.

*Balena Etcher v1.5.9*8 x64 as AppImage format – The device is not listed
at boot.

ke 10. kesäk. 2020 klo 18.51 GNU bug Tracking System ([email-masked])
kirjoitti:

> Thank you for filing a new bug report with debbugs.gnu.org.
>
> This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
> has been received.
>
> Your message is being forwarded to the package maintainers and other
> interested parties for their attention; they will reply in due course.
>
> Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
>  [email-masked]
>
> If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
> send it to [email-masked].
>
> Please do not send mail to [email-masked] unless you wish
> to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.
>
> --
> 41792: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41792
> GNU Bug Tracking System
> Contact [email-masked] with problems
>