Subject: Re: [bug#41790] [PATCH] Update emacs-direnv

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 18:11:49 +0200

Hello,

Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]> writes:

> 10:11 kate says: guix refresh -l emacs-direnv
> No dependents other than itself: [email-masked]
>
> From 22f556d67d8ec2f548859ecd20239a859d70d102 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:09:48 -0500
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: emacs-direnv: Update to 2.1.0.
>
> * gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-direnv): Update to 2.1.0 and make direnv a
>   propagated-input.

Thank you.

I wonder if propagating direnv is a good idea, tho.

I understand that the Emacs library is not going to be useful if direnv
is not available in user's profile. OTOH, installing this package from,
e.g., M-x list-packages, wouldn't install direnv either. Moreover,
I assume anyone installing this Emacs package would have direnv
available already.

Considering the rule of thumb is to limit propagated inputs, I suggest
to remove direnv.

WDYT?

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou