Subject: Re: [bug#41790] [PATCH] Update emacs-direnv

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:46:19 +0300

Hi.

Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]> writes:

[…]

> I disagree. If propagated inputs are not for this -- making the package
> even functional -- what are they for?
>
> But! I am open to discussion.

Propagated inputs could lead to conflicts in a Guix profile.  The
simplest example I could remember is - you want upgrade package ‘A’
which propagates ‘direnv’, but you cannot because package ‘B’ propagates
it too.  In this case you need to upgrade both ‘A’ and ‘B’ or delete ‘A’
(or ‘B’).

Instead we could make the package functional by substituting in
/gnu/store/…-emacs-direnv-…-checkout/direnv.el file ‘direnv--detect’
("Detect the direnv executable.") procedure which could return a path to
‘direnv’ binary as a string directly without calling ‘executable-find’.
WDYT?

Oleg.