Subject: Re: [bug#41790] [PATCH] Update emacs-direnv

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:05:12 +0200

Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]> writes:

> I disagree. If propagated inputs are not for this -- making the package
> even functional -- what are they for?

IIUC, they are to be used as a last resort, e.g., when the package
cannot possibly build without them.

Reason is propagated inputs pollute user's profile. E.g., someone may
want to use a different direnv, and this propagated input would conflict
with their package.

In this case, it is reasonable to expect users to install direnv
themselves.

> But! I am open to discussion.

I hear your arguments. 

I'll let maintainers decide about this, and hopefully clarify what can
and cannot be propagated, at least in Emacs packages. This will be
useful feedback for future reviews.

Meanwhile, you can still provide a patch only bumping emacs-direnv. It
is also fine in you prefer to wait.

Regards,