Subject: [bug#41790] [PATCH] Update emacs-direnv

From: Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:26:06 -0500

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> writes:

Thank you for the review!

> I understand that the Emacs library is not going to be useful if
> direnv is not available in user's profile. OTOH, installing this
> package from, e.g., M-x list-packages, wouldn't install direnv either.

The difference I see is that emacs's package manager is specifically for
emacs -- not for a user's system. Guix is a package manager for a user's
system which encompasses binaries and native libraries. This is one of
the reasons I prefer Guix packages to various language/tool package
managers because Guix can handle load paths and dependencies for me.

> Moreover, I assume anyone installing this Emacs package would have
> direnv available already.

I did not, nor did I know that I had to until it wasn't working and I
went and read the documentation.

> Considering the rule of thumb is to limit propagated inputs, I suggest
> to remove direnv.

I disagree. If propagated inputs are not for this -- making the package
even functional -- what are they for?

But! I am open to discussion.

-- 
Katherine