Subject: Re: bug#4179: vc-merge with svn: syntax error in revision arg.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:42:10 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hard for me to say: it's SVN. Someone who has easy access to such a
> server should try the original scenario.
>
> But there have indeed been some changes, including commit
> d17bae903902. Which mentions fixing "a layering violation that caused
> bad behavior with SVN".

OK; I think we can close this bug report, then.  (Now done.)

>> The comment there is wrong -- it's no longer used in vc.el.  Perhaps
>> these two functions should be moved to vc-rcs.el (and renamed (with
>> obsolete aliases))?   (They're only used in vc-rcs.el and vc-vcs.el.)
>
> Yes, they should.

Also done.

> Also, vc-merge should call (vc-find-backend-function
> backend 'merge-file) instead of (vc-find-backend-function backend
> 'merge). They only seem equivalent for now by lucky accident. I'd do
> that change myself now, but it's similarly hard for me to quickly test
> any of the affected backends, and this operation is not covered by
> vc-tests.el.

Perhaps open a new bug report for this and see whether anybody
volunteers to implement and test?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no