Subject: bug#41778: closed (Re: [bug#41778] [PATCH 0/3] Add ppsspp)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41778: [PATCH WIP 0/2] Add ppsspp

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41778: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41778
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#41778] [PATCH 0/3] Add ppsspp
From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 17:08:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> No, but I'd imagine it would not work out great, because the source is
> a git checkout in /gnu/store, which is read-only and it is compiled in-
> place.

Oh ok. I didn't get it was compiled in-place.

> I'm looking mostly at the contents of ext/ here, which has stuff we
> already package, like cityhash among others.  A bit of context is given
> in the unbundling snippet I use for glslang and spirv-cross, which I've
> managed to unbundle, but the rest are not pulled in as submodules, so
> it would require a `guix build --source` and manual analysis to sift
> through all that.  
> I don't think a less vague comment could improve this understanding
> without risking to be invalidated at some point in the future.  Perhaps
> I could clarify, that it's "mostly ext/", but even that is not
> completely true, since upstream also has ffmpeg as a toplevel submodule
> (which I don't pull in, instead using the flags they already provide
> for using system ffmpeg).

Fair enough.

>> Otherwise, LGTM, barring the description of spirv-cross, where I
>> suggest
>> to drop the "NOTE:" part. It reminds me taisei package felt through
>> the
>> cracks. I'll apply it once spirv-cross is pushed.
> To be fair, that's where I copied it from – I think I already mentioned
> that.

I know. And this is what reminded about taisei.

> I just updated the version and added some details in the comment
> regarding failing tests and hence added my updated patch.  I also think
> this description to be quite weird, but at the same time am unsure on
> how to better rephrase it.  I will send an updated version of it once I
> do come up with something better than just dropping the "NOTE:" part.

Well, I still think dropping the note is appropriate, but I won't fight
over it. Let me know if you find something that suits you better.

I applied your patches. I tweaked comments. In particular comments
starting with two semicolons are full sentences and are supposed to
start with a capital and end with a full stop.

Thank you!

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

Subject: [PATCH WIP 0/2] Add ppsspp
From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 23:40:47 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Guix

I've been wanting to play some old PSP games, so I tried packaging
ppsspp.  The build works for me so far, but it's not very clean -- I'd
especially appreciate it if someone could help me remove all those
gratuitous sources from ext.

The package description mentions spirv-cross, which I still have in my
local checkout after applying an early version of 40495.  That patch
has been lying around since early April and is IIUC not applied since
it was bundled together with taisei, whose description raised some
debate about formalities.  If needed, I can split that patch and resend
it, but credit should still go to Vitaliy.

Regards, Leo