Subject: [bug#41767] [PATCH 9/9] DROP? channels: Add prehistorical authorizations to <channel-introduction>.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 14:35:57 -0400

Hello!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> This allows users to authenticate commits that were made before
> '.guix-authorizations' was introduced.
>
> * guix/channels.scm (<channel-introduction>)[prehistorical-authorizations]:
> New field.
> (%guix-historical-committers): New variable.
> (openpgp-fingerprint->bytevector): New procedure.
> (%guix-channel-introduction): Add 'prehistorical-authorizations' field.
> (authenticate-channel): Honor it.  Pass it as #:default-authorizations
> to 'authenticate-commits'.
> * build-aux/git-authenticate.scm (%historical-committers)
> (%historical-authorized-signing-keys, commit-short-id): Remove.
> * build-aux/git-authenticate.scm (git-authenticate): Rewrite to use
> 'authenticate-channel'.
> * tests/channels.scm ("authenticate-channel, wrong first commit signer")
> ("authenticate-channel, .guix-authorizations"): Adjust accordingly.

I'd be in favor of dropping this commit, to not be burdened by legacy
complexity, which I'm doubtful would see much use anyway.  This means
that a channel require all its commits to have a .guix-authorizations
file to be authenticated.  I think that's fine.

The series LGTM.  I haven't tested it locally, but the tests give me
confidence.

Thank you for working on this!

Maxim