Subject: bug#41747: 27.0.91; Add default fontset setup for "Symbols and Pictographs Extended-A"

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:53:21 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Specifically, for displaying emoji it would be unimaginable, IMO, to
  > rely on Unifont as the solution.

We may have no choice, at least in the short term.
Our mission -- replacing nonfree software with free software -- is hard
enough.  I don't think it is wise to make it harder by demanding we
compete with nonfree software on esthetic points.

However, it would be good to show the community that we are looking for
people to design free repacements for those nonfree font extensions.
I will discuss the issue with someone that works on free fonts.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)