Subject: bug#41738: closed (Re: [bug#41889] [PATCH] gnu: jupyter: Fix python-ipython conflict that prevented installation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41738: Jupyter propagates two different versions of ipython

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41738: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41738
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#41889] [PATCH] gnu: jupyter: Fix python-ipython conflict that prevented installation
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Edouard Klein <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 19:37:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Edouard,

thank you for providing a fix.  I think it’s too complicated, though.
Using prompt-toolkit-2-instead-of-prompt-toolkit everywhere does not
seem like an elegant solution.

I pushed a different fix with commit 7146c8c75d.

-- 
Ricardo

Subject: Jupyter propagates two different versions of ipython
From: paul <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 17:52:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

On Guix System

   guix ecab53c
     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
     branch: master
     commit: ecab53c320b1584a08f811b17a92bd9a50a50ff3

it's impossible to install jupyter in a new profile because it tries to 
propagate two different versions of python-ipython, you should be able 
to reproduce with:

$ guix package -p /tmp/tmp-profile -i jupyter
The following package will be installed:
    jupyter 1.0.0

guix package: error: profile contains conflicting entries for python-ipython
guix package: error:   first entry: [email-masked] 
/gnu/store/z0yarar134q6sziqncjdlfg2h2w5b2yh-python-ipython-7.9.0
guix package: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix package: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix package: error:   second entry: [email-masked] 
/gnu/store/avmg5jd7kccchxadsd9c7zq0p3shlk3w-python-ipython-7.9.0
guix package: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix package: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
hint: You cannot have two different versions or variants of `jupyter' in 
the same profile.

The conflict seems to be caused because:

- 
/gnu/store/avmg5jd7kccchxadsd9c7zq0p3shlk3w-python-ipython-7.9.0depends 
on [email-masked]

- 
/gnu/store/z0yarar134q6sziqncjdlfg2h2w5b2yh-python-ipython-7.9.0depends 
on [email-masked]

This change seems to be introduced with 
32ba87c14fd5e5b54d95211cd9a159d568ce7c67 , which updates 
python-prompt-toolkit to 3.0.5 and to prevent python-ipywidgets, 
python-jupyter-console and python-widgetsnbextension tests from crashing 
builds them with [email-masked].

Giacomo