Subject: [bug#41735] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add openssh-no-x.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 11:27:01 +0200

Hey Jan,

> Two remarks: after merging, we may want to use openssh-no-x for the Hurd
> too and drop this from openssh proper:
>
>              ,@(if (hurd-target?)
>                    '()
>                    `(("xauth" ,xauth)))))         ; for 'ssh -X' and 'ssh -Y'
>
> We have this bit because xauth does not compile for the Hurd yet,
> but it's kind of a kludge.

I just did push the serie, so I think you could maybe adapt the openssh
package used by the Hurd and remove the snippet above, if it's ok for
you?

> Not to hold this up and maybe we should take this discussion
> elsewhere...but I have a ~5y old, bit-rotting stack of LilyPond cross
> build packages (foo-SANS-X) laying around.  At the time--much to my
> suprise--I found the LilyPond community less than enthousiastic to move
> their binary package builds to Guix (yet); but adding these -NO-X
> packages felt a bit weird.  So, I wonder if we could address the X'yness
> of packages in a more structured way, that would be nice...

Yes I share your concerns on that one, sadly I don't have much better to
propose, and I think it's important to have a bare-bones template as
minimal as possible. Anyway, this is not a big hack and it will be easy
to revert it if we find a better way.

Thanks,

Mathieu