Subject: Re: bug#41732: New ’package-with-emacs-next’ procedure

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 23:03:40 -0400

Hello,

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Possibly. And then Magit uses emacs-no-x as an input, so we may need to
> also add --with-input=emacs-no-x=emacs-next to the command.
>
> I'm just pointing out that the process is not as straightforward as it
> might seem. So, it doesn't sound right to simply suggest
>
>   guix build -m manifest.scm --with-input=emacs-minimal=emacs-next
>
> in the manual/cookbook without caution.
>
> Or maybe `package-with-emacs-next' could be more high-level, and handle
> all of these cases. I don't know.

Yeah, that would probably me more convenient/robust to use, if it was
covering for all the weird cases one might forget.  I'd still be in
favor of having such a helper procedure.

Maxim