Subject: bug#41732: issue with emacs-lua-mode and emacs-next

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 17:30:11 +0200

Dear Nicolas,

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 16:13, Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> wrote:
> zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Somehow, one needs to change the Emacs version used by the Emacs
> > toolchain to bytecompile, right?
> > I do not know if it makes sense, but we could add something like
> > 'package-with-emacs-next' similar to 'package-with-python2' or
> > 'package-with-ocam4.07'.
> > WDYT?
>
> This sounds like serious overhead for a single package. Maybe we could
> try to prevent byte-compilation for the package and see what happens?

Maybe I miss the issue.  From my understanding, all the Emacs packages
are byte-compiled with the current Emacs.  Therefore, "guix install
emacs-next emacs-foo" and then "M-x foo" works by luck -- well because
the Emacs VM is stable. :-)
And I do not know how to rebuild all my Emacs packages using
'emacs-next' instead of the current Emacs.  Maybe I miss something.

Well, I am not suggesting to duplicate all the Emacs packages with
something like 'emacs-next-<package>' because it is too much.  I am
suggesting to provide 'package-with-emacs-next' and then for example
in my manifest file I would use this new procedure to generate
on-the-fly these next packages; as an expert Emacs mode.

I do not know if this proposal makes sense.  Probably not. :-)
(My regular Emacs is the current version and I very rarely use
emacs-next because I started Emacs with 23 therefore 24 was already a
so-nice improvement. :-))

All the best,
simon