Subject: Re: bug#41723: 26.3; Enable replying to an ical event even when not an attendee

From: Christophe Troestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 20:23:19 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

On  5 June 2020 at 19:58 CEST, Basil L. Contovounesios <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The commit message conventions followed by Emacs are described in the
> file CONTRIBUTE and also under (info "(emacs) Format of ChangeLog").
> It's fine to include the free-standing prose, but the commit message
> should also mention the file and definition being changed, e.g.:
>
> * lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el
> (gnus-icalendar-event--build-reply-event-body): Display a warning
> instead of barfing when user is missing from attendee list.

Thanks, I have updated it.

>> +        (lwarn 'gnus :warning
>                   ^^^^^
> Why not 'gnus-icalendar instead?

I used “'gnus” as the umbrella but “'gnus-icalendar” is fine too.

Updated patch attached.

Best,
C.

>From 46b02723e714aa0d0e740c61cc6fd7d05e426978 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Christophe Troestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 17:35:48 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Enable replying to an ical event even when not an attendee
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

* lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el
(gnus-icalendar-event--build-reply-event-body): Display a warning
instead of barfing when user is missing from attendee list.

When the user identity is not present in the attendee list, an error
is triggered making replying to such an event impossible (the reply
message not being even composed).  This replaces it with a warning.
This is necessary because one may receive events that the organizer
did not set up well and it is up to the user to decide whether or not
to reply to them.
---
 lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el b/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el
index 305e17fd8f..29d3e30780 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el
@@ -312,7 +312,8 @@ gnus-icalendar-event--build-reply-event-body
 
       (unless (gnus-icalendar-find-if (lambda (x) (string-match "^ATTENDEE" x))
 				      reply-event-lines)
-        (error "Could not find an event attendee matching given identity"))
+        (lwarn 'gnus-icalendar :warning
+               "Could not find an event attendee matching given identity"))
 
       (mapconcat #'identity `("BEGIN:VEVENT"
                               ,@(nreverse reply-event-lines)
-- 
2.26.2