Subject: bug#41719: 28.0.50; [FR] emacsclient should provide '--name' option as emacs

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 14:17:05 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஜூன் 12, 2022 11:00] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Po Lu <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:22:25 +0530
>> 
>> WM_CLASS and WM_NAME are commonly matched against in "window manager
>> rules."  For example, I have a script that essentially calls
>> `make-frame' with a specific frame `name' [*] which I then match against
>> in my window manager configuration to move the frame to the top right
>> corner of my screen.
>
> Why cannot you do the same by invoking emacsclient?

I admit that my example was quite poor, but there are some things that
are strictly out of control of Emacs like,

    1. Moving an Emacs frame to a specific virtual desktop / workspace /
       tag / group, etc.  People call the "workspace" feature by a
       billion different names.

    2. Make a specific Emacs frame "floating" in tiling window
       managers.

I'm not a heavy user of these "window manager rules" so I may not do
enough justification here.