Subject: bug#41719: 28.0.50; [FR] emacsclient should provide '--name' option as emacs

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:27:39 +0800

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

> WM_CLASS and WM_NAME are commonly matched against in "window manager
> rules."  For example, I have a script that essentially calls
> `make-frame' with a specific frame `name' [*] which I then match against
> in my window manager configuration to move the frame to the top right
> corner of my screen.

[...]

>         WM_CLASS(STRING) = "vz_calendar-frame", "Emacs"

BTW, that property looks very wrong to me.  Is the instance name of the
X resources you want to apply to that frame really "vz_calendar-frame"?

If it is not, then you will run into difficult-to-explain problems with
any customizations you make down the road.

If you need to set WM_NAME by itself, set the `title' parameter.  Most
people have no reason to set the `name' parameter at all.

Window managers that ask users to change the declared instance and/or
class names of random windows in their programs encourage sloppy
resource management.  They should ideally allow matching on all window
properties, which Lisp code can then set with
`x-change-window-property'.