Subject: bug#41719: 28.0.50; [FR] emacsclient should provide '--name' option as emacs

From: Vladimir Lomov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:00:11 +0800

Hello,
** Po Lu <[email-masked]> [2022-06-14 12:13:13 +0800]:

> Vladimir Lomov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm using AwesomeWM and it allows me to set windows in different tags (think
>> of them as "workspaces"). I have two "instances" (two a bit different
>> configurations) of Emacs, one for programming and one for other tasks (i.e.
>> they use different packages). I prefer to run first instance ("other") on
>> "emacs" tag while second instance is placed in "misc" tag.

> AwesomeWM should provide a different mechanism, such as one based on the
> WM_NAME property instead.

Yes, I checked and indeed WM_NAME is different for these two instances. I'll
change my AwesomeWM configuration to use this variable.

> Setting the WM_CLASS to something other than `x-resource-name' and
> `x-resource-class' is not supported on GTK builds, and is probably a bad
> idea, since it will mess with X resources.

>> Of course, this is WM (X actually) dependent feature and I'm not sure if it
>> would work on Wayland. Now I build emacs with 'pgtk' and didn't check how it
>> works.

> It can't work on Wayland, since the WM_CLASS doesn't exist there.

I agree, that's why I think now it is worthless to change anything in this
area.  Right now I use very little Wayland DE (GNOME), so didn't investigate
how to work with frames in Wayland.

I think this ticket should be closed.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

-- 
If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry.
		-- Anton Chekhov