Subject: Re: bug#41719: 28.0.50; [FR] emacsclient should provide '--name' option as emacs

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 14:24:45 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஜூன் 12, 2022 16:27] Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:

> Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> WM_CLASS and WM_NAME are commonly matched against in "window manager
>> rules."  For example, I have a script that essentially calls
>> `make-frame' with a specific frame `name' [*] which I then match against
>> in my window manager configuration to move the frame to the top right
>> corner of my screen.
>
> [...]
>
>>         WM_CLASS(STRING) = "vz_calendar-frame", "Emacs"
>
> BTW, that property looks very wrong to me.  Is the instance name of the
> X resources you want to apply to that frame really "vz_calendar-frame"?
>

I created the frame like so,

    (make-frame '((name . "vz/calendar-frame")
                  ;; (minibuffer . nil)
                  (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
                  (font . "monospace-16")))

> If it is not, then you will run into difficult-to-explain problems with
> any customizations you make down the road.
>
> If you need to set WM_NAME by itself, set the `title' parameter.  Most
> people have no reason to set the `name' parameter at all.
>

Probably because I noticed the `name' parameter first in `(elisp) Frame
Parameters'.

> Window managers that ask users to change the declared instance and/or
> class names of random windows in their programs encourage sloppy
> resource management.  They should ideally allow matching on all window
> properties, which Lisp code can then set with
> `x-change-window-property'.

I don't really understand what any of you said means.  All I wanted was
a unique WM_NAME so that I can move the frame to the top right corner.
These frames are usually ephemeral so I haven't had any problems so far,
<shrug>.