Subject: bug#41709: installed-os test failing

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 15:29:05 +0200

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> By reverting this commit 0eed77127592323d89f56c215a15374a1aaae110
> (introducing an extra glibc to %default-locale-libcs), it drops down to:
>
> 1305.5 MiB.
>
> Now multiple options:
>
> * Revert this commit.
> * Find other system closure improvements.
> * Up the limit to 1.5GiB.

Let’s just set the ‘locale-libcs’ field in (gnu tests) so that it
contains a single libc.  WDYT?

> * "openssh" is dragging "xauth" which drags some X libraries (but this
> does not account for much).

Yes, but that’s necessary for “ssh -X”, so I think we consciously made
that choice long ago.

> * "sudo" is dragging "python" for about 100MiB.

Comes from the Python plugin added in
452244e670467afe0e8ccdfb9ca2980d5a3b4694.  No idea what it buys us.

> * "info-reader" is dragging "perl" (and is in fact the same size as
> "texinfo" because of a mistake that I introduced with
> 614a1e3fa2d731d4719f03912b1b87fb4fd309cb) for about 100MiB.

Ah would be nice to fix and add a #:disallowed-references flag there!

> * The switch to non-canonical version of "glibc" and "coreutils" to fix
> system cross-compilation in dfc8ccbf5da96a67eb1cade499f0def21e7fdb02 is
> also responsible for about 100MiB.

Yeah, that’s the price to pay.  :-/

> I also discovered that enabling CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS, the size of
> linux-libre is reduced by 63%.

Woohoo!

> Now, the big source of improvement could be Guix itself (278MiB without
> dependencies).

Yep, see my recent message on this topic.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.