Subject: Re: bug#41702: `guix environment` performance issues

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 10:49:44 +0200

Hi,

Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> and the attached patch uses the new nodelay option, if we don’t want to wait
> for another guile-ssh release.

I’d rather wait; perhaps you can ask Artyom whether they’re planning for
a new release soonish?

If there’s no plan for a release within two weeks, we can go ahead with
the patch you propose.

> From 2892f79f819dd2dd9420f7e74bcb6e293d377452 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 13:59:51 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH] guix: Add nodelay to SSH store connection
>
> * gnu/packages/ssh.scm (guile-ssh)[patches]: Add patch.
> * gnu/packages/patches/guile-ssh-0.12.0-nodelay.patch: New file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
> * guix/ssh.scm (open-ssh-session): Use new nodelay option.

If we take this route, the two patches (guile-ssh changes, then (guix
ssh) changes) should be separate.

Also #:nodelay will cause a hard failure for people using an older
Guile-SSH.  I wonder how to guard against that; configure check, or
run-time Guile-SSH version check?

> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/guile-ssh-0.12.0-nodelay.patch

It would be good to include the URL of the upstream issue

Thanks!

Ludo’.