Subject: [bug#41695] [PATCH] Update Go to v1.14.4

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 22:13:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:

> Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> You're welcome! Thanks for the review. I wish I had more time to
> contribute to Guix.
>
> I suppose I should have qualified my statement by saying there's too
> many dependent Go packages for me to test. I should invest in a better
> computer :)

More computing is nice, but in the meantime, I'm happy to be part of a 
community of other Guix people who can provide extra cycles when needed.

I'd like to recognize the work Chris and Danjela are doing on Guix Data 
Service to ease patch review as well.

>> Reading through the Go release notes [1], the following change to the
>> net/url package caught my eye:
>>
>>> When parsing of a URL fails (for example by Parse or
>>> ParseRequestURI), the resulting Error message will now quote the
>>> unparsable URL. This provides clearer structure and consistency with
>>> other parsing errors.
>>
>> I think this could be the cause of the docker test failure. Should we
>> patch docker or perhaps try to update it?
>
> Spot on! I've updated docker and docker-cli. hyperledger-fabric depends
> on docker-cli and also continues to build. I've attached a patch which
> should supersede the prior patch. It updates go, docker, and docker-cli
> atomically.

I'm happy to confirm that the revised path fixes the docker problem here 
as well.

[…]

>> I am curious, why switch to using git-fetch?
>
> `guix lint` now complains about downloading tarballs. I have also
> recently seen some chatter on the mailing list about preferring this.

Right, I remember that thread, thanks!

Hopefully a more experienced reviewer/committer will confirm that 
everything looks good and push soon.

Best,
Jack