Subject: Re: bug#41693: freshly installed system cannot run “guix pull”

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 23:46:38 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> I just installed two servers with the installer image built from commit
>>> 2f49007dd076b14feb40d7c3331dee3e737265c8.  Both of these servers boot
>>> just fine, but “guix pull” does not work.
>>>
>>> It fails with the following error:
>>>
>>>   guix pull: error: glibc-bootstrap-system-2.2.5.patch: patch not found
>>
>> The commit you picked should create an installer with a Guix package
>> that contains the appropriate fix:
>> 179e6c524ae4957e6ace83f72a5651767f786ca4.
>>
>> Could you run a "guix describe" just to be sure?
>
> “guix describe” tells me that my Guix was not created with “guix
> pull” but says:
>
>     Its version string is 1.1.0-3.52b01cb.

The problem here is that when you create an installer, the Guix inside
the image is the one defined in gnu/packages/package-management.scm
(currently 1.1.0-4.bdc801e).  Which works fine.

But when you install a system using that Guix, it will install an
_older_ Guix snapshot, from its embedded
gnu/packages/package-management.scm, which is the broken
1.1.0-3.52b01cb.

Probably we should make a new Guix snapshot to work around it.  It's a
fairly safe and easy operation, just run 'make update-guix-package' on a
commit that is available on Savannah.  Can you try it?  :-)