Subject: bug#41669: Cross-compiled powerpc64-linux bootstrap-tarballs not reproducible

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:27:14 +0200

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:22:43AM +0100, Leo Le Bouter wrote:
> Hello Chris, Ludo and Efraim,
> 
> In my experience, the bootstrap binaries are reproducible on
> powerpc64le-linux-gnu for a specific GNU Guix System and GNU Guix
> version and configuration. It's not perfect that the kernel version has
> to be pinned for reproducibility but it's better than nothing.
> 
> The issue with powerpc64le-linux-gnu on GNU Guix core-updates now is
> that it has been upgraded to Glibc 2.32 and there is other issues due
> to that. Glibc 2.31 is otherwise working well. I wish we could push
> changes to build bootstrap binaries to master where there is Glibc 2.31
> (and ensure the changes don't affect other architectures) and get this
> over with. 

It is possible to create a "perfect setup" by editing the package
definitions in gnu/packages/bootstrap to fix certain issues which are
needed to make bootstrap binaries actually work. I suppose it would be
possible to downgrade glibc in bootstrap.scm, but I wouldn't count on
maintaining a separate glibc for powerpc64le vs the rest of the
architectures.

Do you have a preference big-endian vs little endian?

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted