Subject: Re: bug#41668: Failing test: gui-installed-desktop-os-encrypted

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 14:33:24 +0200

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>> There is now a final issue, where the command restarting "guix-daemon"
>>> in "umount-cow-store" hangs forever. I can only reproduce it in
>>> "gui-installed-desktop-os-encrypted" test. I wonder if it's a Shepherd
>>> bug or anything else. I'll keep digging.
>>
>> If I can be of any help, we can chat on IRC.
>>
>> Great work already!
>
> Thanks :) I'm a bit clueless about this one. Here's the output:
>
> The following derivations will be built:
>    /gnu/store/pz0h29lwddwv8iq755xbkp4jbrj645f6-install-bootloader.scm.drv
>    /gnu/store/6fbpimwxl85b62rcxd9plk1mf1jb7hvy-module-import-compiled.drv
>    /gnu/store/978myg8v0as05r07dzq8m4nlfj5cmkn6-module-import.drv
> building /gnu/store/978myg8v0as05r07dzq8m4nlfj5cmkn6-module-import.drv...
> building /gnu/store/6fbpimwxl85b62rcxd9plk1mf1jb7hvy-module-import-compiled.drv...
> building /gnu/store/pz0h29lwddwv8iq755xbkp4jbrj645f6-install-bootloader.scm.drv...
> guix system: bootloader successfully installed on '/dev/vda'
>
> Press Enter to contiJun 16 17:30:08 localhost installer[231]: command ("guix" "system" "init" "--fallback" "--no-grafts" "--no-substitutes" "/mnt/etc/config.scm" "/mnt") succeeded nue.
> conversation expecting p
> attern ((quote installation-complete))
> Jun 16 17:30:10 localhost shepherd[1]: Service cow-store has been stopped.
> Jun 16 17:30:10 localhost installer[231]: Unmounting cow-store.
> Jun 16 17:30:10 localhost shepherd[1]: Service guix-daemon has been stopped.
>
> and it hangs forever. Looks like the guix-daemon restart could be the
> issue as it's the last thing that is logged. But hard to say for
> sure. I cannot reproduce it while installing manually a system with all
> DE and services enabled.

Is it deterministic?  Same story with “gui-installed-os”?

I guess we can add more ‘syslog’ statements in the installer around the
place where we restart services.  Or we could run the installer entirely
under strace.

Ludo’.