Subject: bug#41661: [Cuirass] Doesn't honor 'timeout' nor 'max-silent-time' leading to mising substitutes

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 14:16:41 +0200

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> We really need to improve our CI so that it's possible to discover these
> build failures. Currently it's quite hard to monitor if they get built
> unless you just do `guix build foo`.

Or ‘guix weather’, which is not worse than a web UI IMO.

> The last time this came up [0] it was said that maybe it's not really
> correct to make these properties of the package, but rather of the CI
> jobs. It makes sense but we need a solution, or stop supporting
> underpowered architectures like armhf, because most of those machines
> can't build this stuff themselves, and it's not good to advertise
> support to people who will just be disappointed later.

Yeah.  I think we need to look at these on a case-by-case basis.  Guile
is one of those packages known to hit the max-silent-time of 1h (?)
that’s configured on berlin.  Hopefully it will no longer be the case
starting from 3.0.3.

What about Linux-libre?  Does it hit the max absolute build time on
armhf?

As I wrote elsewhere, I think it makes more sense in a way to have
those timeouts configured system-wide.  But yeah, we need to be
pragmatic.

Thanks,
Ludo’.