Subject: Re: bug#41628: [PATCH] Allow emacsclient to connect to other user's socket when using -s

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 19:32:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Since commit 5c0d8bb95bbd5354e6b2cd2e56a91afe4e780759 emacsclient won't 
>> connect to my usual emacs session when run as root. I use this all the 
>> time to edit files, combined with "-T /sudo:root@localhost" to handle 
>> permissions. Using a separate emacs process would be unpractical as it 
>> would require setting up a whole new emacs configuration and keeping it 
>> in sync with my main one. I think this is a common use-case for those 
>> who have an emacs-server running all the time and supporting it makes a 
>> lot of sense. In principle I see no reason emacsclient should refuse a 
>> connection that is possible in theory.
>> 
>> It looks like this "feature" has been explicitly disabled, maybe because 
>> it might triggered unintentionally if running su doesn't set USER or 
>> something?
>
> The discussion which led to that change is here:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-11/msg00019.html

So unless I understand something here, this is not something we want to
allow (because of security concerns), so I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no