Subject: Re: bug#41624: 28.0.50; wdired-change-to-wdired-mode sometimes infloops

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 12:03:30 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> > M-x find-dired ~/ RET -iname \*.pdf RET  (any find-dired buffer will do)
> >
> > M-: (setq wdired-allow-to-change-permissions 'advanced) RET
> >
> > M-x wdired-change-to-wdired-mode RET
> >
> >   ==> infloop
>
> This bug is still present on the trunk, but I'm not quite sure whether
> this is supposed to be supported or not?  The find-dired buffers aren't
> very much like normal dired buffers...  so should wdired just signal an
> error here?

I can't answer that, but I can tell that when I manually delete the last
lines of text and whitespace in such a buffer (saying "find finished
..."), it works as expected (though I'm getting a message saying that "1
rename actions failed").  But I'm definitely able to change permissions
with wdired then.  So it seems possible to make the feature work, the
infloop results from the unsuitable termination condition of the loop in
`wdired-preprocess-perms'.

Michael.