Subject: bug#41613: 26.1; ps-paper-type does not change page size

From: Marvin Gülker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 12:59:20 +0200

Dear Maintainers,

setting the `ps-paper-type' variable and then calling 
`ps-print-buffer-with-faces' does not have an effect on the paper size 
of the page at all. It only affects the region in which the text drawn 
onto a standard-sized paper. For instance, if `ps-paper-size' is set to 
`diskette' (which is very small) the drawing area is confined to a very 
little region on the bottom-left of a full-size A4 paper sheet. I would 
have expected that setting `ps-paper-size' changes the actual paper 
size, not the drawing region, so that the resulting PS file has the 
dimensions of (in this example) `diskette'.

To reproduce, create a file with several paragraphs of arbitrary text so 
it does not fit on one page of the chosen size. Then, start Emacs with 
emacs -Q and do the following:

1. Visit said file.
2. M-x set-variable ps-paper-type diskette
3. M-x set-variable ps-print-header nil ;; without this an error occurs
4. C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces result.ps

Open the resulting PS file with ghostscript or convert it to PDF with 
ps2pdf. The text is drawn onto a very small region on the bottom-left of 
an A4 paper sheet. Instead, it should have been a very small page entirely.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-09-23, modified by Debian built on x86-grnet-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading ps-print...done
Formatting...  0%
Collecting face information...
Formatting...done
Saving...
Wrote /tmp/lorem.txt.ps [2 times]
You can run the command ‘ps-print-buffer-with-faces’ with M-x -p-b-w RET
Wrote /tmp/lorem.txt.ps

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-StqULU/emacs-26.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils ps-mule cus-edit wid-edit ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr cus-start cus-load thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 123627 9597)
 (symbols 48 22523 1)
 (miscs 40 48 140)
 (strings 32 34975 1605)
 (string-bytes 1 947501)
 (vectors 16 16544)
 (vector-slots 8 513820 7646)
 (floats 8 303 200)
 (intervals 56 268 0)
 (buffers 992 13))