Subject: Re: bug#41613: 26.1; ps-paper-type does not change page size

From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 14:58:12 +1300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marvin Gülker <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> setting the `ps-paper-type' variable and then calling
>> `ps-print-buffer-with-faces' does not have an effect on the paper size
>> of the page at all. It only affects the region in which the text drawn
>> onto a standard-sized paper.
>
> Yes, that's what it's documented to do:
>
> "Specify the size of paper to format for."
>
> It doesn't say anything about changing the paper size of the page.  So I
> think Emacs behaves as advertised here, and I'm closing this bug report.

I've had a problem with this for years.

Confusingly, ps-paper-type does seem to behave as you describe. But if 
that's the case, how to actually set the page size of postscript output? 
(and for clarity, by page size, I'm referring to the dimensions of the 
white rectangle that sits behind the printed text, the digital analogue 
of the bleached tree carcass that runs through the machine in the corner 
of the office).