Subject: Re: bug#41572: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Support plain project marked with file .emacs-project

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 09:52:45 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does this work for everybody?

I was pointed to this thread and asked to comment on this patch.

My use case is the following: I'm interested in being able to designate
projects (through various means, not only marker files) that may only
exist inside other projects.  I then want the C-x p family of commands
to allow a choice of inner project or any of the associated
super-projects.

I can't understand from the patch alone if it solves this case, but it
seems that it doesn't come near.  If not for any other reason, I can't
always use marker files.

I do see that in your patch more and more things appeari under the
existing VC type, which I think is growing too much.  The comment itself
admits that "VC" becomes "VC and etc." -- this is not a good sign.

The patch seems to be trying very hard not to create a new project type.

But if a new subproject type was created with a link to a previously
found super-project.  One could easily e.g. reuse the super-project's
ignore rules etc in the sub-project.

João