Subject: bug#41572: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Support plain project marked with file .emacs-project

From: "Philip K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:24:04 +0200

Zihao Zhu <[email-masked]> writes:

> IMO, it's not practical to use directory local variable
>
> 1. directory local variable goes ".dir-local.el". But we can't mark 
> every directory contain this file as project. We have to do extra search 
> if we use directory local variable.

Not necessarily, if the directory variable would contain a (relative)
path to where the project root is.

> In your use case. I think we can add variable "project-known-projects", 
> you can  add your favorite directory to it, you can also persist this 
> variable using savehist.el

I actually think this is better (given there is a command to add a
directory to the list of known projects), because you could also build a
project switcher on this foundation.

And if the variable is a user option (which I think it should be),
savehist shouldn't be necessary.

-- 
	Philip K.