Subject: Re: bug#41571: 27.0.91; "(elisp) Interpolated Strings" is under "(elisp) Text"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:33:57 +0300

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:41:54 +0100
> 
> While I'm at it, may I change the node name?

Sure, the names aren't cast in stone, and the current one doesn't
strike me as especially successful/accurate.

> In fact, couldn't format-spec be documented alongside format and
> format-message under "(elisp) Formatting Strings"?

I thought about that as well when I read your original message, but
concluded that "Formatting Strings" is already too long.  We could
end that node with a sentence referring to the next one, so that
interested readers could continue there right away.  WDYT?

> Just to recap: format-spec is like format, except it allows custom
> %-sequence characters, such as %z, which are substituted in a similar
> way to format's %s.  A common use case is to allow users to customise
> different output presented to them via custom format control strings.

This text is sorely missed at the beginning of the node about
format-spec.

Thanks.