Subject: Re: bug#41570: 26.3; dired chown

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:44:32 +0300

> From: "A. Peter Blicher" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:46:39 -0700
> 
> Dired chown command complains that chown is not available for windows
> systems.  However, windows versions >= 7 (at least) have the "takeown"
> command, which while not as comprehensive as the unix chown command at
> least allows the current user to take ownership of a file/dir, as long
> as the user has admin privileges.  It would be useful for dired to
> permit this possibility on windows systems.

AFAIU, 'takeown' is different from 'chown', in that it only allows to
change the file's owner to either the current user or the
Administrators group, it doesn't allow you to change the ownership to
any other user except one of those two.  Also, I think the command
requires elevation, doesn't it (thus you mention "admin privileges")?

So I'm not sure that command is a good replacement for 'chown', but
maybe you have something in mind I'm missing?

Thanks.