Subject: 26.3; dired chown

From: "A. Peter Blicher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:46:39 -0700

Dired chown command complains that chown is not available for windows
systems.  However, windows versions >= 7 (at least) have the "takeown"
command, which while not as comprehensive as the unix chown command at
least allows the current user to take ownership of a file/dir, as long
as the user has admin privileges.  It would be useful for dired to
permit this possibility on windows systems.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
  of 2019-08-29 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Recent messages:
Loading faces-pb...done
Loading files-pb...done
Loading vkill...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer

Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
funcall-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Completions*>

Configured using:
  'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENU
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree help-mode apropos elec-pair cl-macs time ps cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren dired-x easymenu dired dired-loaddefs time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108712 7836)
  (symbols 48 21063 1)
  (miscs 40 71 129)
  (strings 32 33626 939)
  (string-bytes 1 844459)
  (vectors 16 15081)
  (vector-slots 8 528297 8530)
  (floats 8 70 295)
  (intervals 56 510 13)
  (buffers 992 15))