Subject: Re: bug#41570: 26.3; dired chown

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 23:54:25 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Perhaps the Dired O command should give an immediate error, perhaps
  > > 
  > >   Changing a file's owner not supported on this OS.  Switch to GNU/Linux.

  > But this is not true: if one has a 'chown' command available (and I
  > do), it will and should work as intended.

I was replying to a message which seemed to say there was none, but I
don't claim to know anything about Windows.

Whatever the situation may be, the message could give users suitable
advice.  "Install the chown command to make this work" could be used,
provided the chown command in question is free software.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)