Subject: bug#41570: closed (Re: bug#41570: 26.3; dired chown)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 11:36:03 +0000

Your bug report

#41570: Add "takeown" command for Dired on Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41570: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41570
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41570: 26.3; dired chown
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 11:35:04 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> IMO, it should be closed.  Users who want the chown capability on
> Windows will have to find a utility that is a more faithful emulation
> of its Posix namesake.

OK, I'm therefore closing this bug report now.

Subject: 26.3; dired chown
From: "A. Peter Blicher" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:46:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dired chown command complains that chown is not available for windows
systems.  However, windows versions >= 7 (at least) have the "takeown"
command, which while not as comprehensive as the unix chown command at
least allows the current user to take ownership of a file/dir, as long
as the user has admin privileges.  It would be useful for dired to
permit this possibility on windows systems.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
  of 2019-08-29 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Recent messages:
Loading faces-pb...done
Loading files-pb...done
Loading vkill...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer

Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
funcall-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Completions*>

Configured using:
  'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENU
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree help-mode apropos elec-pair cl-macs time ps cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren dired-x easymenu dired dired-loaddefs time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108712 7836)
  (symbols 48 21063 1)
  (miscs 40 71 129)
  (strings 32 33626 939)
  (string-bytes 1 844459)
  (vectors 16 15081)
  (vector-slots 8 528297 8530)
  (floats 8 70 295)
  (intervals 56 510 13)
  (buffers 992 15))