Subject: bug#41570: 26.3; dired chown

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 20:38:23 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: "A. Peter Blicher" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:46:39 -0700
>>
>> Dired chown command complains that chown is not available for windows
>> systems.  However, windows versions >= 7 (at least) have the "takeown"
>> command, which while not as comprehensive as the unix chown command at
>> least allows the current user to take ownership of a file/dir, as long
>> as the user has admin privileges.  It would be useful for dired to
>> permit this possibility on windows systems.
>
> AFAIU, 'takeown' is different from 'chown', in that it only allows to
> change the file's owner to either the current user or the
> Administrators group, it doesn't allow you to change the ownership to
> any other user except one of those two.  Also, I think the command
> requires elevation, doesn't it (thus you mention "admin privileges")?
>
> So I'm not sure that command is a good replacement for 'chown', but
> maybe you have something in mind I'm missing?

The proposal here was to change chown for takeown in Dired.  From the
discussion, it seems like this is not a technically good solution.

Is there anything more to do here, or could this bug report be closed?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas